Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Cake

I've come across this great tasting vegan recipe on Veronica's Cornucopia. I'm not big on vegan desserts but this one is fantastic. I've made the pumpkin spice cake because I have guests coming and one of them is vegan. 


Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa*
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon cloves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
  • 1 ½ cups water
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Maple-Cinnamon Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • ¼ cup real maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10” bundt pan (I used Miracle Pan Release) and set aside.
In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until thoroughly combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Place on a cooling rack and allow the cake to stay in the pan for five minutes, then invert onto cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Once cool, put on a plate, blend the glaze ingredients together and pour over the cake.

*Honestly, I have no clue why the cocoa is an ingredient, unless the person that created the recipe wanted it to be a darker spice cake.  I will omit this next time because I don’t think it added any flavor, and I prefer my pumpkin cake to look more orange and less dark.  If anyone omits it, please let me know your results!


Recipe source: adapted from Rhonda C.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment